According to recent research, 49% of people have used generative AI, with more than one-third of them using it daily and planning to use it even more. The report, published by Salesforce, also found that generative AI users are a young, engaged, and confident group of “super-users,” meaning they use the technology frequently and believe they are well on their way to mastering it.
While the adoption of AI grows, the data gathered as part of the report “Generative AI Snapshot Research: The AI Divide”, also shows that half of all people have never used the technology, and 64% of them would use it more if it was safe/secure. The survey of more than 4,000 people was taken across the United States, UK, Australia, and India.
“This data shows just how quickly generative AI usage has taken off in less than a year,” said Clara Shih, CEO of Salesforce AI.
“In my career, I’ve never seen a technology get adopted this fast. Now, for AI to truly transform how people live and work, organizations must develop AI that is rooted in trust, and easily accessible for everyone to do more enjoyable, productive work.”
Highlights from the Generative AI Snapshot Research
Salesforce released the following highlights from the survey:
Generative AI “super-users” showcase technology’s potential
According to the research, generative AI users are a young, engaged, and confident group of “super-users,” meaning they use the technology frequently and believe they are well on their way to mastering it.
- 65% of generative AI users are Millennials or Gen Z, and 72% are employed.
- Nearly 6 in 10 users believe they are on their way to mastering the technology.
- 70% of Gen Z report using the technology and 52% of them trust the technology to help them make informed decisions.
And, users aren’t slowing down anytime soon — 52% say their usage of generative AI is increasing compared to when they first started.
Generative AI stragglers are unclear on its benefits
In contrast, non-users are older and display a significant lack of engagement with the technology. They report low familiarity with generative AI and are skeptical of its impact.
- 68% of non-users are Gen X or Baby Boomers.
- 88% are unclear how generative AI will impact their life.
- 40% say they aren’t familiar enough with the technology and 32% say the technology is not useful for them.
Moving beyond fun: maturing use cases for generative AI
Generative AI users are still exploring the technology, but looking to expand their use into the workplace and interactions with businesses:
- 75% of users are looking to automate tasks at work and use generative AI for work communications.
- 38% use generative AI for fun/messing around, and 34% for learning about topics that interest them.
- 62% would use generative AI more if it was more safe/secure.
Non-users/stragglers are looking for increased safety, education, and more integration
- 70% of non-users would use generative AI more if they knew more about the technology.
- 64% would use generative AI more if it was more safe/secure.
- 45% would use generative AI more if it was integrated into technology they already use.