Burger King in Germany has released a new campaign in the run-up to Mother’s Day by introducing “The Pregnancy Whopper” – your good ol’ Whopper refashioned with some of the most popular food combinations according to the survey, such as cucumbers and jam, fish sticks and applesauce, curry sausage and fried herring, and more.
According to data from Burger King For 58% of the surveyed women, said that pregnancy food cravings are a thoroughly familiar phenomenon, while 76% said that resistance to pregnancy cravings is impossible.
“Our survey among pregnant women and mothers clearly indicates that pregnancy cravings are not just a myth. These cravings are as real as pregnant women’s desire for special food combinations”, says Klaus Schmäing, director of marketing at Burger King Deutschland GmbH.
“This brought us to the idea to turn the most popular pregnancy cravings into pregnancy Whopper sandwiches. As a result, combinations like cucumber with jam or sausage with chocolate cream have been created – and expectant moms have enthusiastically tried them.”
The campaign – which runs across both socials and OOH – is encouraging mothers in Germany to visit Burger King and try “pregnancy Whopper” to tame their cravings. However, they will offered exclusively on Germany’s Mother’s Day at a select Berlin Burger King restaurant.
The results of the survey of 1,070 women in Germany between the ages of 16 and 45, found that pregnancy cravings primarily occur in the second trimester, and most often in the evening (45%).
- They usually disappear immediately after the birth or a few weeks afterward.
- Only 7% of the respondents said that their cravings persisted after giving birth.
- Pregnancy cravings for sweets (49%) are stronger than cravings for salty foods (31%).
- 55% of respondents also said they eat more fresh fruits and vegetables during pregnancy.
- They also eat more chocolate (55%), cakes (53%), and potato chips (47%) along with fast food such as burgers (51%).