As part of a new campaign via Special PR, KFC is styling it up for the return of its KFC Hot & Crispy Boneless by collaborating with renowned New Zealand jeweler Nick Von K to release a bespoke jewelry line: “The Boneless Collection.”
Yes, that’s right.
The unexpected pairing unveils 11 hand-crafted sterling silver and pearl necklaces – an ode to each of the secret herbs and spices KFC is synonymous with – and designed to symbolize the bones that have been removed from the KFC Hot & Crispy Boneless.
Suspended on solid sterling silver chains or strings of cultured pearls, the bones are arranged so that each necklace is unique with some encrusted with cubic zirconia gemstones. The jewellery line is a natural fit for Nick Von K, renowned for his avant-garde pieces, who launched his first collection over a decade ago.
The campaign has been devised and executed by Special PR, who won the account after a three-way competitive tender at the end of July.
The agency is responsible for proactive PR for KFC including creative ideation and strategy, influencer and talent management, social content creation and media relations, with support from PHD on media strategy, planning and amplification. Special PR has worked closely with the KFC in-house project team – led by KFC Marketing Director Leanne Too and Senior Brand Manager Holly Knowles.
Clark Wilson, General Manager of Marketing at Restaurant Brands, said: “We’ve been looking for an earned-first agency that can create truly distinctive, fame-driving work – and believe this first campaign from Special PR brings a new level of youthful energy and cultural relevancy.”
“This has been an immense team effort, and I’d like to thank the entire KFC Marketing and Digital teams who managed to go from a pitch idea to live execution in just seven weeks.”
Kelly Grindle, GM of Special PR, added: “There aren’t many brands out there that have as much opportunity and possibility as KFC. Some of the work they’ve done – both here and globally – is amongst my favourite of all time.”
“We’re excited to get stuck in with a client that has such a passion and energy to deliver stand-out work that gets people talking – and most importantly, resonates in culture.”
The necklaces are designed in 2D before being programmed into 3D software and printed in wax. From here they’re cast in solid sterling silver and hand-finished to a fine polish, where they’re then either encrusted with cubic zirconia gemstones, strung on pearls or Nick Von K’s signature hexagon link chains.
Those wanting to get a hold of the new line can purchase select pieces online at nickvonkcollab.kfc.co.nz.
The pieces retail at $1299.00 with the proceeds donated to KFC’s charity partner Surf Life Saving New Zealand to help keep Kiwis safe this summer.
- Clark Wilson: GM Marketing, Restaurant Brands
- Leanne Too: Marketing Director
- Holly Knowles: Senior Brand Manager
- Georgina Frances: Digital Marketing Director
- Chelsea Ho: Social Media & Content Specialist
- Keegan Thoresen: Assistant Brand Manager
- Special PR:
- Kelly Grindle: GM, Special PR
- Natasha D’Souza: Senior PR Director
- Natalie Chandler: PR Director
- Kat Day: Creative Lead, PR
- Sophie Harsent: PR Manager
- Jess Walker: PR Manager
- Arabella Mitchell: PR Executive
- Amanda Palenski: Creative Integration Lead
- Ella MacDonald: Associate Business Director
- Lily McCallum: Senior Digital Planner
- Lara Winmill: Account Manager
- Lucy Hazlett: Digital Planner
- Film Construction:
- Amie Gellert: Producer
- Matt Hurley: Creative Director & Photographer
- Jason Domancie: Videographer & Graphic Designer
- Richard Huang: Wardrobe Stylist & Creative
- Leah Mizrahi: Art Director & Food Stlist
- Stacey O’Gorman: Food Stylist