Wunderman Thompson has released the 8th edition of The Future 100, an annual trend almanac offering a snapshot of the year ahead and what they view as the most compelling trends for marketers to keep on the radar.
The Future 100: 2022, which was put together by Wunderman Thompson Intelligence, offers 100 trend predictions across 10 sectors, spanning culture, tech, travel and hospitality, brands and marketing, food and drink, beauty, retail, and commerce, luxury, health, and work.
“This year ushers in a resolute positivity that encourages playfulness and creativity,” said Emma Chiu, Global Director of Wunderman Thompson Intelligence.
“This optimistic outlook will take us on a journey into the near future, where a new digital era is on the horizon as the metaverse shifts from a sci-fi concept into reality. Lifestyles and businesses will shift to become climate-friendly as being sustainable is no longer enough, while the physical and emotional tax of the last two years is forging a holistic, sensitive, and nuanced approach to wellbeing. Brands and marketers are leading with positivity, eager to provide joy in people’s lives by creating euphoric ads as they too ride the optimistic wave,” she continued.
- Culture – Unbounded optimism: Brands are projecting a progressive and positive outlook for 2022, encouraging playfulness and creativity.
- Tech & Innovation – Virtual teleportation: Technologists are opening up digital portals into a new virtual dimension that offers more intimate, close-to-reality in-person interactions.
- Travel & Hospitality – Meditative travel: Meditative integrations are making every journey a mindful one.
- Brands & Marketing – Brandalism: Vandalism for good is hijacking ad space and exposing brands’ missteps, demanding they do better.
- Food & Drink – Liquid Immunity: Wellness aficionados are quenching their thirst while supercharging their immune systems.
- Beauty – Acidic care: Skincare brands are homing in on the benefits of acidic ingredients.
- Retail & Commerce – Virtual flagships: Digital flagship stores are taking over ecommerce storefronts.
- Luxury – Sonic luxification: Luxury brands from fashion to auto are investing in audio hardware, luxifying the listening experience.
- Health – Emotional health: Recharge zones for emotions are emerging in public spaces around the world.
- Work – Metaverse recruits: From virtual material designers to creatives across the board, companies are hiring for a metaverse workforce.
‘The Future 100: 2022’ follows Wunderman Thompson Intelligence’s ‘Into the Metaverse’ trend report launched in September 2021.
Editor-in-Chief: Emma Chiu
Editor: Emily Safian-Demers
Writers: Marie Stafford, Chen May Yee, Elizabeth Cherian, Sarah Tilley, Carla Calandra, Jamie Shackleton, Safa Arshadullah
Sub Editors: Hester Lacey, Katie Myers
Creative Director: Shazia Chaudhry
Cover Image: Raspberry Dream Labs
You can download the full report here.