The Philippines loves Twitter –and likewise. The SE Asian nation is one of Twitter’s fastest growing markets with user engagement far beyond that of the rest of the world.
“The Philippines, one of the largest social media markets in the world, has been an amazing success story for Twitter in 2015,” said Richard Alfonsi, Twitter’s Vice President of Global Online Sales.
According to the company, 69 per cent of Filipino users engage with Twitter every day, versus the global average of about 33 per cent.
“We appreciate all of the love from Filipinos and we’re launching our first Asian #TwitterCity in the Philippines to show our commitment to our users,” Alfonsi said.
Recently Twitter launched #TwitterCityPH in the Philippines, the first of its kind in Asia Pacific, at the Mind Museum in Taguig in Metro Manila.
The experiential space is meant to showcase Twitter as the “live connection to culture and how Filipinos’ passions have been discovered, shared, and enjoyed more with tweets.”
Digging in for the long haul
Gearing up for 2016, Twitter has partnered with the Commission on Elections and will host the a #TwitterElection in the Philippines. The company has also partnered with sporting leagues and events suchas the Philippines Basketball Association and the FIBA World Olympic Men’s Qualifying Tournament..
“2016 will be an exciting year for Twitter in the Philippines and there’s never been a better time for Filipinos to be on Twitter today,” said Rishi Jaitly, Twitter’s Vice President of Media Asia Pacific and Middle East.
Twitter also released a snapshot of the contents of people’s tweets, based on survey conducted by Nielsen. These are the key survey results:
- Over 3.3 million local Tweets for the Pope’s visit in Jan 2015
- Over 2.7 billion global views of Tweets related to the Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather fight in May 2015
- Over 41 million global Tweets for the Aldub charity concert in October 2015, in addition to the 1-2 million daily Tweets about the Aldub social TV sensation.
- Nearly 700,000 global Tweets for APEC Summit held in Manila in Nov 2015
- Over 6.7 million global Tweets for Miss Philippines’ win at the Miss Universe Pageant in Dec 2015
The most popular, or “Golden Tweet” of 2016? Yaya Dub’s following Tweet, which had over 76,000 Retweets and was viewed nearly 2.4 million times in Twitter:
Maraming salamat Dabarkads at AlDub Nation sa suporta at pagmamahal! Grabe kayo! God bless us all!!! #AIDubEBTamangPanahon
— Maine Mendoza (@mainedcm) October 24, 2015