To get a better view of what’s happening in the evolving world of mobile advertising, we recently caught up for a conversation with DJ Li, Head of Global Business Development Mintegral, the programmatic subsidiary of Mobvista.
Li brings nearly a decade of experience in the mobile marketing industry and is well-versed in the latest trends as well as anticipating the needs of brands looking to resonate with consumers through programmatic advertising.
Over the course of our conversation, Li talks about current challenges in mobile advertising, how Mintegral is working to address those challenges, how the industry is dealing with increased privacy hurdles and more.
What are some of the biggest challenges and changes taking place in the mobile advertising industry today?
Mobile advertising is evolving rapidly and, as an industry, we have to be adaptive. Some of the biggest challenges I see today include:
1. Privacy Concerns: As users become more aware of privacy, the mobile ecosystem has to face up to new issues around collecting user data for targeted advertising. Google has already introduced updates to its app tracking policies for Android devices. Starting in late 2021, apps on Android devices will be required to ask users for permission before tracking their activity.
This aligns with Apple’s App Tracking Transparency feature, which was implemented earlier on iOS devices. These changes indicate a growing trend towards privacy-focused technologies and policies in the mobile advertising industry. Companies should aim to better balance the need for personalized advertising with user privacy concerns moving forward.
2. Cross-device tracking is another significant challenge that the mobile advertising industry is facing. With users interacting with multiple devices (such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and TVs), it has become increasingly difficult for advertisers to track and target users accurately across different devices. This challenges advertisers who want to deliver a seamless, personalized experience to their audience. As a result, there has been an increasing trend toward cross-device targeting and measurement solutions that enable advertisers to track user behavior across multiple devices to deliver more effective campaigns.
Mintegral focuses on cross-regional marketing challenges, describing itself as “helping clients bridge the gap among the world’s most valuable markets.” Tell us more about that.
With more than 100 billion ad requests and 1 billion ad impressions served per day, Mintegral is helping advertisers explore growth opportunities worldwide.
“The APAC region encompasses a diverse range of countries, cultures, and languages, so it’s important to adapt ad content to local preferences and trends.”
We stay up-to-date on the latest trends and successful case studies across multiple markets, so we can provide our clients with valuable insights to help them navigate the ever-changing business landscape. By leveraging our expertise and market knowledge, we work closely with clients to help them develop effective strategies that drive growth and success
McKinsey research found that 71% of consumers expect to receive personalized interactions from companies and 76% get frustrated if they don’t. How is the mobile advertising industry addressing this with increased privacy hurdles?
Contextual advertising is a solution that balances personalization and privacy. This method delivers ads based on the context of the user’s current activity or location rather than individual user data. This approach allows advertisers to deliver relevant ads without relying on personal data that users may be uncomfortable sharing.
Moreover, ad creatives are likely to become more critical as privacy continues to be a major issue. By creating more engaging and personalized ad creatives that resonate with their target audience, advertisers can improve the effectiveness of their campaigns.
“Contextual advertising is a solution that balances personalization and privacy.”
The mobile industry provides a lot of creative automation tools. These tools allow advertisers to create and test multiple ad variations quickly and efficiently, which allows advertisers to optimize their ad creative strategies based on real-time data and user feedback. Innovation of interactive ad formats, such as playable ads, AR/VR ads, and shoppable ads, provide users with engaging and immersive ad experiences that encourage interaction and increase conversion rates.
In terms of creativity, what types of ad content drive higher engagement with users in the APAC region?
The APAC region encompasses a diverse range of countries, cultures, and languages, so it’s important to adapt ad content to local preferences and trends. User-Generated Content (UGC) is highly valued in many APAC markets, where users prefer authentic and relatable content. Advertisers can leverage UGC by featuring user-generated images, videos, and testimonials in their ad campaigns.
Influencer marketing is also a popular strategy in many APAC markets, where influencers have significant sway over consumer behavior. Working with influencers who have a large and engaged following can help advertisers reach their target audience effectively and generate higher engagement rates
What advice would you give brands looking to better engage with consumers via mobile advertising in the Asia Pacific?
Engaging with consumers via mobile advertising in Asia-Pacific requires a deep understanding of local cultures while using the latest technologies. I would highlight three directions for brands to explore and review:
1. Leverage Social Media. Social media platforms such as Instagram, WeChat, Line, etc. are widely used in the Asia-Pacific region. By using these platforms, brands can create engaging and personalized ad experiences that appeal to their target audience.
2. Use data-driven Insights as much as possible. Data-driven insights can provide valuable information about user behavior and preferences, enabling brands to create more targeted and effective ad campaigns. By analyzing data such as click-through rates, time spent on ads, or other key metrics, brands can optimize their campaigns for higher engagement and conversion rates.
3. Embrace and experiment with new ad formats: As the mobile advertising industry continues to evolve, new ad formats and technologies are emerging. Brands should experiment with new formats such as interactive ads, augmented reality (AR) ads, and shoppable ads to increase engagement and stand out from the competition.
What are some of the key trends that marketers should be looking for and how is Mintegral positioned to capitalize on these trends?
1. Programmatic Advertising: Programmatic advertising is becoming increasingly popular in the mobile advertising industry. Programmatic allows advertisers to deliver targeted and personalized ads at scale. As programmatic ad spend continues to grow, marketers need to have a deep understanding of programmatic buying and optimization strategies.
2. Emerging Ad Formats: New ad formats are helping marketers deliver more engaging and interactive ad experiences that capture users’ attention and drive conversions.
3. ROAS targeting: This involves setting a specific goal of the return on ad spend (ROAS) and optimizing ad campaigns to achieve that goal once it is set. Targeting ROAS allows marketers to measure the effectiveness of ad campaigns and change their strategies based on real-time data and insights.
Mintegral, as a mobile advertising platform, is well-positioned to capitalize on these trends by offering innovative solutions and technologies that help advertisers reach and engage with their target audience effectively. Through its programmatic advertising platform, the application of intelligent algorithms, and the implementation of its playable creatives lab – Playturbo, Mintegral empowers advertisers to fine-tune campaign performance and tailor ad experiences that yield tangible results.
Book everyone in the industry should read?
“The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives” by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler. It’s a valuable resource for anyone looking to stay ahead of the curve on technological developments.
Favorite show you’re watching lately?
“Hi Bye, Mama!” directed by Yoo Je-won, a well-known South Korea Director.
One album you would take to a deserted island?
The fifth studio album, “V,” by Maroon 5. “Sugar” was one of the album’s most popular tracks – which is my vitamin on a desert island.
Something you want to learn or wish you were better at?
To sing and perform “Sugar.”
MORE: Mintegral Joins Google AdMob as a Bidding and Waterfall SDK Network