WARC is forecasting that podcast will account for 4.5% of audio ad spend by 2022 – that’s up from 1.9% recorded ad spend for 2018. The overall amount spent is expected to reach $1.6 billion by 2022.
“Podcast advertising holds great potential as it enables brands to reach a highly-engaged, young and affluent audience via a medium they have an affinity with,” said James McDonald, WARC’s managing editor.
- 4.5% podcasts’ share of all audio adspend in 2022, up from 1.9% in 2018
- 22% weekly podcast penetration in the US, equating to 62 million Americans
- 33.5% monthly podcast penetration worldwide
- 41.7% share of podcast ads which are added dynamically, at the point of download
- 53% share of listeners who use YouTube for podcasts, compared to 28.8% for Apple and 28.3% for Spotify
- 78% proportion of listeners who do not mind ads as a means of supporting podcast content
James McDonald, Data Editor at WARC, recorded a video for the April Global Ad Trends report summarizing the latest research from WARC’s Data Platform, with analysis of podcasts, including adspend and growth.