Pepsi has unveiled a new logo and visual identity marking the brand’s first update of the iconic logo in 14 years.
The company will roll out the new look in North America this fall in time for the brand’s 125th anniversary, and then globally in 2024, marking the brand’s “next era with an eye toward the future,” it said.
“The new design evolves the Pepsi brand to represent its most unapologetic and enjoyable qualities,” the brand said adding that it will span across all physical and digital touchpoints, including packaging, fountain and cooler equipment, fleet, fashion, and dining.
The challenger mindset
Pepsi said that throughout its history it has maintained “a bold challenger mindset and a strong link to pop culture,” with the aim of pushing culture forward “while simultaneously remaining iconic and timeless.”
“We designed the new brand identity to connect future generations with our brand’s heritage, marrying distinction from our history with contemporary elements.”
“At PepsiCo, we design our brands to tell a compelling and holistic story. Pepsi is a shining example of a brand that has consistently reinvented itself over 125 years to remain a part of pop culture and a part of people’s lives,” said Mauro Porcini, SVP & Chief Design Officer of PepsiCo.
“We designed the new brand identity to connect future generations with our brand’s heritage, marrying distinction from our history with contemporary elements to signal our bold vision for what’s to come.”
The logo and visual identity borrows equity from its 125-year history and incorporates modern elements to create a look that “is unapologetically current and undeniably Pepsi,” the brand said.
Key design elements of the new Pepsi log:
- The Pepsi globe and wordmark unite to fit into a variety of settings and emphasize the distinctive Pepsi branding.
- An updated color palette introduces electric blue and black to bring contrast, vibrancy, and a contemporary edge to the classic Pepsi color scheme. Given the brand’s continued focus on Pepsi Zero Sugar, the design brings in the color black, further showing the brand’s commitment to Pepsi Zero Sugar in the future.
- A new visually distinct can silhouette, which heroes the iconic Pepsi can as an accessible brand for all.
- A modern, custom typeface reflects the brand’s confidence and unapologetic mindset.
- The signature Pepsi pulse evokes the “ripple, pop and fizz” of Pepsi-Cola with movement. It also brings the rhythm and energy of music, an important and continuing part of the Pepsi legacy.
“Pepsi is an iconic brand that is constantly evolving with the times, as it has been a staple in pop culture and disrupted the category for the past 125 years,” said Todd Kaplan, Chief Marketing Officer at Pepsi.
“We couldn’t be more excited to begin a new era for Pepsi, as this exciting new and modern look will drive brand distinction to show up bigger and bolder and help people find new ways to unapologetically enjoy the things they love. This new visual system brings out the best of the Pepsi brand’s rich heritage, while taking a giant leap forward to set it up for success in an increasingly digital world.”