If you’re a junior creative with under 5 years of professional experience in advertising, marketing, and PR, don’t miss your chance to present your ideas to world-leading creatives as part of the New Stars competition 2020. If you’re a university student, you can also kickstart your creative career by applying for the Young Stars competition 2020.
For the first time, Gold-winning New Stars and Young Stars will receive KRW 5,000,000 (approx. US$4,000). The Gold-winning New Stars team will also win a free ticket to attend AD STARS 2021.
“We would like to encourage new ideas at a difficult time for our industry, with many junior creatives worried for their future,” said Hwan-Jin Choi, Chair of AD STARS. “So, for the first time, we have introduced a prize for Gold-winning New and Young Stars teams. These programs are free to enter, so if you are a young creative professional or student, we hope you’ll consider taking part.”
Both programs are held annually as part of AD STARS – a three-day celebration of creativity and cutting-edge technology. Usually, teams meet in Busan, South Korea, but this year’s participants will come together virtually to crack a ‘brief’, which will be judged by advertising creatives from around the world.
To be part of New Stars or Young Stars 2020, you must suggest campaign idea/s to promote home meal replacement brand ‘Mitus’, which is a private brand owned by NS Home Shopping. The home meal replacement market is booming thanks to a rise in single-person households, with more people also eating from home during the coronavirus pandemic.
Your idea must:
- Drive wider recognition of the home meal replacement concept
- Drive awareness and positive consumer sentiment towards the new Mitus brand
- Maximize communication between the brand and customers.
The target audience is married homemakers aged 35-55, which is the dominant demographic group among users of online shopping services. The format can be film, print, outdoor, online, or new media, or you can submit a strategy planning paper outlining the strategy for your campaign.
Why should you apply?
All New Stars and Young Stars teams will have the opportunity to present their work to world-leading creatives around the world. Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Crystal winners will be publicized globally, sharing the stage with AD STARS 2020 professional winners. In addition to the KRW 5,000,000 prize for Gold winners, NS Home Shopping may decide to execute their favorite award-winning idea.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the New Stars competition, you must be aged under 30 or have 5 years or less professional experience in marketing, PR, and advertising. You can compete as an individual, or as a team of two.
To be eligible for the Young Stars competition, you must be an undergraduate university student studying advertising, marketing, design, communications, art direction, or a related degree. If you are taking a leave of absence from an undergraduate degree or are a recent graduate, you can still apply. However, Ph.D. graduates are ineligible. You can compete as an individual, or as a team of up to four people.
Who will judge your work?
The New Stars 2020 jury includes:
- Adrian Tso, Group Strategy Director at DDB Group Hong Kong
- Aste Gutièrrez, Creative Director at TBWA\Chiat\Day, New York
- Chihiro Kato, Art Director at Dentsu Inc., Tokyo, Japan
- Chin Huei (Vince) Lee, Regional Creative Group Head at Hakuhodo International, Thailand
- Frederico Roberto, Executive Creative Director, Interweave Agency, London
- Hyunjung Park, Creative Director at Cheil Worldwide, Korea
- Karl Wolfgang Epple, Executive Creative Director at thjnk, Germany
- Linus Oura, Creative Director at GUT, São Paulo, Brazil
- Meryke Naude, Creative Director at MullenLowe Singapore
- Peter Vegas, Executive Creative Director at FCB New Zealand
- Rikki Burns, Creative Director at Meerkats, Perth, Australia
- Youngho Hwang, Creative Director, Innocean Worldwide, Korea
The Young Stars 2020 jury includes:
- Alfred Wee, Creative Director, McCann Worldgroup, Singapore
- Daiji Yoshida, Executive Producer at Tohokushinsha Film Corporation, Japan
- EJ Galang, Creative Director at MullenLowe, London, UK
- Fatima Ansari, Senior Creative Manager at BBDO Pakistan
- Kasia Canning, Creative Director at 72andSunny, New York, USA
- Luis Paulo Gatti, Senior Creative, BBDO Germany
- Maiya Kinoshita, Creative Planner, Dentsu, Tokyo, Japan
- Mihyun Park, Creative Director at TBWA Korea
- Serge Pronin, Creative Director, Owner at ProDesign Studio, Moscow, Russia
- Tyrone Van Heerden, Head Of Strategy at Iris Worldwide, Munich, Germany
- Viwe Mfaku, Creative Director at Ogilvy Africa
- Youbin Bang, Creative Director at Cheil Worldwide, Korea
Key Dates & Deadlines
It’s free to take part in the New Stars and Young Stars 2020 programs. Teams must submit their application and promotional campaign idea before midnight on September 23 (Korean time). Successful teams will be notified on October 14, 2020 here.
The AD STARS 2020 awards ceremony has been tentatively postponed until October 24. For more information, visit www.adstars.org.